The demand for "customized" medications has dramatically increased as healthcare professionals and patients realize the limited number of strengths and dosage forms commercially available DO NOT meet the needs of the patients.
At Genesis, Our Doctors of Pharmacy work closely with physicians and patients to develop innovative personalized compounds that can be used safely and effectively for a wide range of conditions. Unlike traditional medications that come in standard doses and strengths, our FDA approved chemicals are formulated in applications that may combine multiple drugs in one compound to minimize possible side effects. Our topical creams blend pain medications with anti-inflamation and neuropathic agents that can be applied directly to the skin at the site of discomfort.
Compounded preparations are especially beneficial for patients with unusual health needs such as:
- Patients that require limited dosage strengths (such as infants)
- Patients who have difficulty swallowing. Different applications such as liquids, transdermal gels and creams, troches, pellets, oral and nasal sprays, rectal suppositories, "chewies" or lollipops may be used instead of a pill.
- Patients, especially children, that may require gluten free medications either because of Celiac Disease or as an alternative treatment for Autism or other behavorial conditions.
- Patients requiring other allergen-free medications, such as one without alcohol, lactose or colored dyes or preservatives
- Patients who are malnourished or who absorb or excrete medicine abnormally
- Patients who need medications that have been discontinued by pharmaceutical manufacturers
- Patients who are unable to obtain their normal drugs due to a shortage in supply
- Patients, like children, who are unable to swallow medications due to unsavory tastes. Liquids can be mixed with flavored additives like grape or cherry so that the medicine is more palatable
- Veterinary medicine, for alternative applications easier to administer and more palatable to the animal
- Patients needing various types of hormone replacement therapies such as pills, pellets, sublinguals, injectables and creams
Our Compounding Professionals Can Prepare
- Unique dosage forms containing the best dose of medication for each individual.
- Medications in dosage forms that are not commercially available, such as transdermal gels, troches, "chewies", and lollipops.
- Medications free of problem-causing excipients such as dyes, sugar, lactose, or alcohol.
- Combinations of various compatible medications into a single dosage form for easier administration and improved compliance.
QUALITY COMPOUNDING MAXIMIZES THERAPEUTIC OUTCOMES
The efficacy of any formulation is directly related to its preparation, which is why THE SELECTION OF YOUR COMPOUNDING PHARMACY IS CRITICAL. Ongoing training for compounding pharmacists and technicians, state-of-the-art equipment, and high quality chemicals are essential. Experience and ingenuity are important factors as well. When tweaking a formula or developing a unique preparation, the compounding pharmacist must consider physical and chemical properties of both the active ingredient and excipients, solubility, tonicity, viscosity, and the most appropriate dosage form or device for administering the needed medication. Standard Operating Procedures should be in place, stability studies should be considered when compounding, and appropriate potency and sterility testing should be performed.
Our compounding professionals can formulate suitable medications as sublingual drops, oral and nasal sprays, lollipops, rectal solutions and suppositories, and other customized dosage forms. Please contact us to discuss your patients’ needs.
LEARN MORE ABOUT GENESIS